HEBRON UPDATE: July 7-16, 2002

July 31, 2002
HEBRON UPDATE: July 7-16, 2002

Sunday, July 7, 2002
No curfew from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm

Half the team stayed in Hebron, due to the uncertainty of the situation
while the other half attended church in Jerusalem.

Monday, July 8, 2002
No curfew from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm

A local shop owner brought a 17-year-old mentally handicapped boy, Hisham
Ahmed, by the team apartment. Hisham, who makes deliveries with a
handcart, said Israeli soldiers near the Ibrahimi Mosque had beaten him
Sunday afternoon when he was going home with a group of friends, after the
soldiers asked him if he was a member of Hamaas, and he told them, "No."
Hisham had a red mark on his left arm and bruises on his arms and face. He
said a soldier also hit his friend, Eyman Jameel,age 15, who went to the
hospital with a black eye. Hisham said he was in too much pain to push his
handcart for the day.

Satterwhite took volunteers with the International Solidarity Movement to
the Beit Ummar Municipality to discuss their working in the town.

Tuesday, July 9, 2002
No curfew from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm

Dianne Roe and Jim Satterwhite, along with volunteers from the International
Solidarity Movement (ISM) accompanied Beit Ummar farmers to their fields in
the morning, but the Israeli army forced them to leave.

JoAnne Lingle arrived at the airport and took a taxi with Palestinian
passengers to Hebron. At the Highway 35 checkpoint just north of Hebron,
the Israeli army told the taxi driver Hebron was closed, and the taxi could
go no further. Lingle got out and negotiated with the first soldier. He
refused to let the taxi pass, but said Lingle could go in alone. She said,
"No, I'll remain with the others." Then she talked to a second soldier and
said, "These people live in Hebron and just want to go home. Be
reasonable." After much pleading, the soldiers finally allowed the taxi to
continue into Hebron.

Wednesday, July 10, 2002
The Israeli army reimposed 24-hour curfew

Satterwhite learned curfew was still in effect when he went for groceries
at 8:00 am. Diana Epp-Fransen, Greg Rollins, and Satterwhite patrolled the
Bab iZaweyya area, as some fruit and vegetable vendors and shop owners had
begun to open up. They helped one vender move his melons out of the market,
sat with another vendor whom the Israeli army had detained, and then they
took food to a man guarding a construction site. They walked through the
area several times before returning home.

Roe and Jerry Levin went to Al-Saafa School to walk a 12-year-old boy home
who was afraid of the Israeli soldiers patrolling the area.

At 10:40 pm, a large explosion rocked the city.

Thursday, July 11, 2002
Curfew continued 24 hours per day.

Kathy Kamphoefner and Epp-Fransen spent the entire morning finding a way out
of Hebron to Jerusalem, due to the curfew. They then worshiped at Sabeel
Liberation Theology Center in Jerusalem.

Roe and Janet Shoemaker visited families living in Wadi Roos. In 1996, the
Israeli army had demolished two Zaloum family homes there which lay between
the two Israeli settlements of Kiryat Arba and Harsina. [See July 12