HEBRON UPDATE: October 30 -November 5, 2003

November 17, 2003
HEBRON UPDATE: October 30 -November 5, 2003

Thursday, October 30
No curfew

The team showed four groups around the Old City. One group witnessed
soldiers detaining a Palestinian man at Beit Romano checkpoint. The soldiers
made the man remove his jacket and his outer shirt, so that he was left
wearing a short-sleeved undershirt.

They made him stand in the cold
for several minutes, claiming he had a knife. When CPTer Diane Janzen asked
if they would let he man put his clothes back on, one soldier said "No."
Another said, "We haven't raped him yet." He paused and then added, "And
we're not going to." When the group passed the check-point a half hour later
the man was no longer there.

Friday, October 31

A merchant whose shop is across from the CPT apartment stopped CPTer Greg
Rollins and took him to the back of his shop. The two back rooms were
flooded with sewage. Rollins looked out of the back window and could see the
sewage from the army base at the back of the shop leaking into the shop. The
owner asked Greg if he would come with him to talk to the commander about
the problem. As they were leaving, some soldiers walked by on the other side
of the gate. Greg called to them and they came over to the gate. The shop
owner asked the officer if they could do something about the leaking sewage.
The officer said he would deal with it.

At 6 pm Israeli Border Police imposed curfew in H-2, the Israeli-controlled
portion of Hebron.

Saturday, November 1
Curfew in H2

Rollins and Gary Brooks went up to BabiZawiyyeh where they learned that
soldiers had fired tear gas to get the people to close their shops.
However, curfew was not called in H-1 and many of the shop owners remained
in the area near their shops.

At about 8pm the team heard gunshots, ambulance sirens, and loud explosions
coming from the Tariq Ibn Ziyyad area. From the CPT apartment roof they
observed and heard several Israeli army jeeps calling curfew in the area.
They also saw several flares shot off over the area.

Sunday November 2
 Curfew until 5:30pm

Israeli soldiers closed Ibrahimi school for the day. People gathered in the
Old City but soldiers sent everyone home around 9 am. Bab i Zawiyyeh was
also under a "light" curfew; people who opened their shops were not stopped
by the Israeli army.

In the afternoon Rollins and Lawrence showed a Fellowship of Reconciliation
(FOR) delegation around the Old City. Most of the group went into the mosque
to visit the Jewish side while Greg, Mary, and a couple of the visitors
in the park across the street. Two young Jewish men, about nineteen years
old, observed them for a while from behind a tree.

Then the young men came up to the group. They were both smiling broadly.
They said, "We are security. We need to ask you some questions." Mary said,
"You can't be from security. Security people never ask questions with such
big smiles on their faces. Perhaps you had better go back behind the tree
and rehearse some more, and then come back and try again." The young men

A member of the FOR group asked them what they wanted to know. They asked if
the members of the group were Jewish and where they came from. After a few
minutes of conversation the young men left.

Anderson, Janzen and Gary Brooks went with a translator up to Tel Rumeida
to do follow up visits with Palestinian families after last Wednesday's
shooting. (See October 27, 2003 release, "Crime and Punishment.")
There was curfew in the area. The two houses welded shut on Wednesday night
were still sealed. Cement blocks and netting had been put in front of them.
Anderson and Janzen visited the Abu Aesha family. The family and the CPTers
went up onto the roof of the house from where they observed
Israeli settlers stealing olives in a Palestinian grove close to the house.
The settlers had already picked four sacks of olives and stacked them
against the fence of the settlement.

The CPTers learned from their translator that the olive trees belonged to
Fariel Abu Haikel, headmistress of Qurtuba girls school. Anderson called the
Kiryat Arba police station to file a complaint. The police said that they
would send someone to investigate. Later the translator reported that the
police had come to Fariel's house, but the settlers had already left.

CPTers received a call telling them that soldiers had entered a house in the
City. Chris Brown, Brooks and Rollins went to investigate. Settler teens had
been throwing rocks at Palestinian homes. The family's fifteen-year-old son
stepped out onto the porch to see what was happening. The settler boys
accused him of throwing rocks at them.

Four soldiers came to the house and
wanted to take the boy away, but the family refused to let them. Four more
soldiers came. They entered the house, shoving the daughter and hitting the
mother on her back and her shoulder with the butt of a rifle. They used
crude, insulting language when they spoke with the women. The mother called
the police who came and took statements from everyone. One policeman was an
Arab Israeli. He told the soldiers that if they behaved that way in the
future, they would be taken to court.

Wednesday November 5
No curfew

Lawrence took a package from a Hebron lawyer to his 18-year-old son in
Muscovia prison in Jerusalem. The young man was imprisoned for traveling to
Jerusalem without a permit. The lawyer said that his son was being
transferred to a prison in Beersheeva and had five months left to serve.

Brooks, Rollins and Brown hosted a group of 37 international youth (from
Norway, Denmark, South Africa and Bangladesh.) They gave them a tour of the
Old City.