TORONTO/CHICAGO: Canadian CPTer denied entry to USA, questioned by FBI

Facebook
Twitter
Email
WhatsApp
Print

CPTnet

March 14, 2003

TORONTO/CHICAGO: Canadian CPTer denied entry to USA, questioned by FBI

Matthew Bailey-Dick, 30, from Waterloo ON, was denied entry into the USA

early on March 7, 2003, after U.S. immigration officials at Port Huron MI

found literature from Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) in the trunk of his

rental car. The immigration officers claimed that the CPT newsletters,

printed in Chicago IL, were “anti-American.” They also raised concerns about

a sticker on Bailey-Dick’s guitar case that read, “Question authority.”

Bailey-Dick is currently studying at Associated Mennonite Biblical

Seminaries in Goshen, IN. He had been in Waterloo, ON, speaking at the

church he had pastored for the previous two years–Waterloo Kitchener United

Mennonite Church–about his participation in the recent CPT delegation to

Iraq.

Bailey-Dick was carrying a J-1 student visa, valid until the end of August

2003. U.S. immigration officers confiscated the visa, insisting that he

needed a new type of visa document. They then finger-printed and

photographed him. Later that day, an immigration supervisor told Bailey-Dick

that his student visa was valid, but that he was still denied entry into the

USA. The supervisor said that Bailey-Dick needed to go to Detroit for an

interview with an even higher-echelon U.S. immigration official.

When he arrived at the Detroit border crossing on March 8, Bailey-Dick was

questioned for an hour by FBI agent Tom Morisi and immigration officer John

Owen about the work of Christian Peacemaker Teams and the CPT delegation to

Iraq. They then informed him that his student visa would be reissued.

At the end of the questioning, Owen cautioned Bailey-Dick, “Don’t bring any

of that literature across the border any more. It’s one thing for an

American citizen to distribute such literature. It’s quite a different thing

for a foreign national to come into the USA and promote such ideas.”

 

For more information contact Doug Pritchard, tel 416-423-5525, cellular

647-297-7079

 

Categories

Read More Stories

Coast Guard boats docked at the port of Samos

Scandalous case of criminalization of refugees: Trial against #Samos2 set for 18 May

In an unprecedented move, Greek authorities have charged a refugee with the drowning of his 6-year-old son during a shipwreck. On 18 May 2022, he will be on trial in Samos together with his co-passenger, who is facing life imprisonment for steering the boat. Seventy organizations across Europe call for the charges against the #Samos2 to be dropped.

The human rights groups Aegean Migrant Solidarity, borderline-europe e.V. and the European Democratic Lawyers will monitor the trial. Twitter: @BorderlineEurop; #Samos2

three people sit in a court room bent over their chairs, with their backs to the camera.

#Paros3 were sentenced to a total of 439 years for steering the boat

On 05 May, the trial against the Paros3, Kheiraldin, Abdallah and Mohamad, took place on the Greek island of Syros. Both the prosecution and the judges acknowledged that the three defendants were not the smugglers and had not acted for profit, nor were they to blame for the 18 lost lives. Despite this, the three fathers were nevertheless convicted of “facilitating unauthorized entry,” resulting in a sentence of 187 years for the “captain” and 126 years for each of the two “assistants.”

Skip to content