CPT Steering Committee member Tori Bateman (left) was among the CPTers who participated in the
National Day of Action in Washington, DC
Christian Peacemaker Teams is among 23 faith groups who have signed on to a statement condemning U.S. aggression towards Iran.
We call on the Trump administration to end military escalation, and on Congress to refuse authorization for war with Iran.
As people of faith, we condemn the United States’ dangerous aggression towards Iran, including the assassination of Gen. Qassem Soleimani and the deployment of additional troops to the region. We urge the Administration to step back from the brink of war.
Our faith communities see the futility of war, and its power to dehumanize. We know that human flourishing entails breaking cycles of violence, being courageous peacemakers, and focusing on the root causes of conflict. Violent conflict is a path of mutual destruction.
Instead, all actors must move forward in a way that upholds our shared, sacred human dignity:
- All parties must begin by re-humanizing each other without excusing unjust and violent actions.
- The U.S. Administration must halt violent attacks and military escalations. It must return to a diplomatic process, recognizing that lasting peace requires a commitment to the shared well-being of every human, from Iran to the United States and everywhere in between.
- The U.S. Congress must act to reassert its war powers by refusing authorization for war with Iran and related attacks, and to block funding for war with Iran.
- U.S. actions and strategy in the region must address the root causes of the conflict, such as distrust, trauma, economic resources, and political influence.
- All of us must support nonviolent creative actions of resistance to any unjust and violent actions.
As communities of faith, we renounce the escalation of violence, and call on the United States to work towards lasting peace with Iran.
American Friends Service Committee
Center on Conscience and War
Christian Peacemaker Teams
Church of the Brethren Office of Peacebuilding and Policy Churches for Middle East Peace
Coalition for Peace Action
Columban Center for Advocacy and Outreach Conference of Superiors of Men (Catholic)Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd, US Provinces Faith in Public Life
Franciscan Action Network
Friends Committee on National LegislationLeadership Conference of Women Religious
Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns
Mennonite Central Committee U.S.
National Advocacy Center of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd National Campaign for a Peace Tax FundPresbyterian Church (USA)
Provincial Council Clerics of St. Viator
Sisters of Mercy of the Americas- Institute Leadership Team Unitarian Universalist Association
United Church of Christ, Justice and Witness Ministries
The United Methodist Church – General Board of Church and Society